Tuesday 30 December 2014

Blog Post 4: UK to US

Next week, I go back to the US for a couple weeks. I will be fully submerged back into the land of stars and stripes. I'm looking forward to being able to go to any restaurant and ask for a side of ranch dressing Yes, ranch dressing is not a thing in this country. I did some quick research and ranch dressing was invented in California. Although, there is a chicken, bacon and ranch sub at the UK and US Subway, but the ranch at the UK Subways don't taste anything like real ranch dressing. It tastes more like sour cream, mostly bland.

The purpose of the trip isn't to get my hands on some ranch dressing, but trust me I will. I'll be bringing a couple bottles back for Ollie and I because I accidentally got him addicted. When I say accidentally I mean on purpose, because I love the stuff and we both like the same kind of food. Except he loathes broccoli and cauliflower and I really like it (if cooked properly). Anyways, the purpose of my trip is to see my family before I complete the next two semesters of my degree. I'm pretty susceptible to homesickness, however never had this issue in college. Well, I did get homesick at first my Freshman year of college, but it was quite different than living at home with my mom. Anyways, I'll be home for a couple weeks and then I'll be back in Aberystwyth with Ollie and then two days later I begin my classes.

As the flight gets closer, I get more nervous. It'll be my first time away from Ollie for more than a couple hours (since we ended the distance) and I'll be flying for about 12 hours total. It's silly for me to be afraid of flying, because statistically it's far more dangerous to be in a car. Car accidents take the lives of so many people, and the horrific part is lots of those are innocent drivers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't get me started on how dangerous it is to be drunk driving, one of my friend's parents got hit by a driver under the influence and they hit her car head on. Despite my friend's mom being sober and in the right, she lost her life. With the recent missing airplanes in the spotlight it makes me even more hesitant to board a plane. Then add in the Ebola virus into the mixing pot and how people are traveling from Sierra Leone to the UK and US, and you have me feeling paranoid. Am I being silly? Maybe. These two variables are completely out of my hands and it doesn't make sense for me to worry about something I can't control. However I wouldn't be myself if there isn't a bit of worrying, I am a bit of a worry wart.

So here I am now, sitting with my feet up on our coffee table, watching The Parent Trap (1998), a film that probably impacted my childhood in terms of films. I was lucky enough to spot it on the TV guide and knew instantly that I had to watch it. Although it makes me quite sad because Natasha Richardson is in it; rest in peace, and she was terrific in it. Additionally she was the partner of Liam Neeson and I love him. How could anyone not love him? From the badass dad in Taken to Star Wars Episode 1. I worshipped Star Wars Episode 1 after seeing it, I remember being "Queen Amidala" for Halloween. Anyways, I watched The Parent Trap multiple times growing up and I'll never forget that I learned a very tasty, yet type II Diabetes luring treat- Oreos dipped in peanut butter. Ooh, I'd love that right now!

In a couple hours' time the stew Ollie and I made will be ready. We're using the slow cooker my sisters and brother in law got for me, a fantastic Christmas gift. I'm ridiculously excited because I've never made my own stew, but I've always wanted to. Ollie and I went to the Castle of Aberystwyth ruins an hour ago. It was so beautiful, but very cold. I'm happiest here though, in our apartment, cozied up on the couch, watching a film. Watching films is my favorite thing in the world.

Thanks for reading,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment