Wednesday 7 January 2015

Black Mirror

I just saw the best commercial! For reference, SpecSavers is a store to buy glasses.
Watch it on YouTube here.

I wanted to talk about Black Mirror, the best TV series I've seen yet. This is a huge deal for me to name something the best I've seen. I love a lot of TV series. I mean, a lot. However this one exceeds anything I've seen before. It reminds me of The Twilight Zone in terms of genre, because all of the episodes (which don't correlate with each other so you can watch in any order) take place in the future. The brilliant Charlie Brooker is the creator of the series, which has a recurring theme of that hi-lights the downsides of future technology. In my favorite episode thus far, The Entire History of You, a new fad that quickly turns Facebook-like because everyone has one, everyone has a memory chip installed in the side of their head, recording everything they see and keeping it to replay it whenever they want. When they replay the memories they call it a re-do, which is creepy, yet genius at the same time. For example, one couple had one installed into their toddler, so after the nanny left, they were able to review what the nanny did while the parents were out with friends, a sort of nanny cam that is eerily built into a human. Without giving the entire plot away, it follows a couple that both have the memory chips built into their heads and how the pros and cons of recording everything can effect relationships.

Tomorrow is my last day in Wales and the next morning I'm en route to the US. I wish I had a direct flight, but unless I fly from London Heathrow that's impossible. Considering I don't want to take a train 6 hours and then a plane for 8.5, I'll have to just stick with the 3 hour train ride to the 1 hour plane ride, one hour layover and finally an 8 hour flight. I'm going to be exhausted on Friday!

I've packed my bag and it's all ready to go. I have Jaffa Cakes for my mom, StarBars for Brit and another candy that I will not name for Andi because I want it to be a surprise. My stomach is unfortunately in knots because I hate being away from Ollie- he's my best friend and it's hard being away from him. I was very glad when we ended our long distance because missing your partner is not fun at all. I feel bad because I will be going home while he has exams and I feel I should be there for him, but he will be studying all day and I'd have nothing to do but sit home and watch TV. However I'm looking forward to seeing my family and their puppies. Ooh I miss Carter and Sailor so much! I will post some photos of them on my facebook page while I'm home. If you're wondering the page is right here. Carter was rescued in Oakland, California. He's a Bichon Frise mix. My sister and her husband were riding their bikes and they found him on a busy road eating cheese off a cheeseburger wrapper. He was covered in fleas and was very skinny. They scooped him up, took him to the vet for a check up and shots and then took him home to give him a bath with shampoo to get rid of those pesky fleas! He's been apart of our family ever since. He's a very sweet boy, and when he first joined the family he would howl when my sister left the house and I was babysitting him. He does a dance when her or her husband get home, which I've named "the monkey dance." He gets up on his hind legs and he throws his front paws up, jumping up and down and wagging his tail. It's very cute. Oh here, I've found a picture I took of him doing it when she got home!

Then there's miss Sailor, who's just a baby! My dad and Wendy, his wife got her in late July this past summer. She's a Goldendoodle, which is a Poodle and Golden Retriever mix. Her and I are best buds because I took care of her over the summer when my dad and Wendy were at work. She's very sweet and outgoing and loves to run around! Here she is:
And finally, here's a photo of both of them together with my brother in law, Ouz

Well readers, I'm off to have dinner and watch another episode of Black Mirror. Until tomorrow!
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment